"One day it occurred to me that it had been many years since the world had been afforded the spectacle of a man adventurous enough to undertake a journey through Germany on foot. After much thought, I decided that I was a person fitted to furnish to mankind this spectacle. So I determined to do it. This was in March, 1878." Mark Twain, A Tramp Abroad

16.11.09

An Afternoon in France

And the adventures with the grandparents continue...

Since we had the rental car for another whole day we decided at the last minute to take a little jaunt over to Strasbourg, France. (I just love traveling in Europe. You can cover a whole country in less than a day!)

It was nice to be back in my old stomping grounds and to understand what people are saying. (P.S. I lived in SW France with my family for a period of time in middle school.) Strasbourg is in the Alsace region of France, which is a parcel of land that has gone back and forth between France and Germany over the centuries. Now that I've experienced both countries, it was interesting to see the intermingling of cultures in this city.

Mmmm...patisserie!



Our first stop was the Strasbourg Cathedral. Construction on the cathedral started in 1147, but it wasn't finished until 1439--that's one long church building program! I'm sure they had their share of disgruntled donors. Up until the late 1800's it was the world's tallest building, and it is still one of the world's tallest churches.

What struck me was the amount of delicate carvings covering the front entrance of the cathedral. I had never seen anything quite like it.







The inside was just as breathtaking.



The stained glass windows are from the 13th century and are the oldest in Christianity.




After the cathedral we walked in the old part of town along the Ill River. I loved seeing the colorful timber-frame buildings.
Poppy T, me, DeDe and Penelope






My favorite part of town was La Petite France. Lots of quaint, narrow streets and old, restored buildings. They were in the process of putting up Christmas decorations while we were there.



Before we headed home we stopped at a cafe and had a cup of cafe au lait--you can't get more 'French' than that!


And here is Miss Frenchy-French herself!


Gros bisous from France!

No comments:

Post a Comment