"One day it occurred to me that it had been many years since the world had been afforded the spectacle of a man adventurous enough to undertake a journey through Germany on foot. After much thought, I decided that I was a person fitted to furnish to mankind this spectacle. So I determined to do it. This was in March, 1878." Mark Twain, A Tramp Abroad

2.9.09

Penelope's Present Preoccupations

Lately, Penelope has been fascinated with two things: a rubber ducky and the curtains in our dormitory apartment.

When presented with an array of her toys, Penelope’s eyes are immediately drawn to the yellow rubber duck. Her hands grasp at the air in the direction of this toy, as if the duck will magically jump up from the blanket and fly into her hands. Once she has it in her grasp she proceeds to bring it to her mouth and devour it, over and over and over again.


Yesterday, I put Penelope down in her crib for an afternoon snooze. Just when I was congratulating myself on how quickly and quietly she had fallen asleep, I heard thumping sounds coming from her room. When I peeked in, this was the scene I beheld…


Penelope sideways in her crib staring at the curtains and absentmindedly thumping the crib bars with her foot.

I think the curtains that cover our two sets of floor-to-ceiling windows are hideous, but they apparently have found a special spot in Penelope’s heart.


A few minutes later, she was sound asleep. Dreaming about the colorful curtains swaying in the breeze, no doubt.

No comments:

Post a Comment