"One day it occurred to me that it had been many years since the world had been afforded the spectacle of a man adventurous enough to undertake a journey through Germany on foot. After much thought, I decided that I was a person fitted to furnish to mankind this spectacle. So I determined to do it. This was in March, 1878." Mark Twain, A Tramp Abroad

1.9.09

10 Things I've Learned

Although I've only been in Germany a few weeks, I have already learned, mostly through trial and error, several important things.

1. A stroller does not work well on steep cobblestone streets.
2. German has many English cognates, but "fahrt" is not one of them.
3. 85 degrees feels like 100 degrees when air conditioning, fans or ice does not exist (and this is from someone who has spent many a summer in Houston, Texas).
4. It is possible to live without cell phones, a t.v. or internet in your home, but it is not advisable.
5. Germans don't like to drink anything cold (for example, a "milkshake" is served at room temperature and doesn't involve ice cream).
6. Germans really like apples and anything that can be made into a sausage.
7. Restaurants don't have "free refills."
8. Fannypacks are still in fashion here.
9. There aren't different ways of doing things, there is only the "right" way and the "wrong" way.
10. You can't learn German through osmosis.


And, since it's been a few days, here's a random picture of the little one, who has also taught me many important things:

No comments:

Post a Comment