"One day it occurred to me that it had been many years since the world had been afforded the spectacle of a man adventurous enough to undertake a journey through Germany on foot. After much thought, I decided that I was a person fitted to furnish to mankind this spectacle. So I determined to do it. This was in March, 1878." Mark Twain, A Tramp Abroad

11.8.09

Pubalicious

Penelope and I pausing in front of the King's Head, a pub in Richmond close to the Green.



Five reasons I love English pubs:

1. They're easy to spot. They always have hanging baskets overflowing with gorgeous flowers (well, except in the winter).

2. Free bathrooms. Three things that are scarce in England are trash cans, water fountains and free and accesible bathrooms. I can't say pub bathrooms are clean, but at least they are there when I need one--and I have a very small bladder.

3. They're smoke-free. Smoking is no longer allowed inside pubs which makes for a much more pleasant eating and drinking experience. Now the smokers just congregate outside the door.

4. Fish and chips. I wouldn't recommend eating anything else in a pub though.

5. Beer tastes better in a pub. Trust me.


Penelope agrees.

No comments:

Post a Comment