Five reasons I love English pubs:
1. They're easy to spot. They always have hanging baskets overflowing with gorgeous flowers (well, except in the winter).
2. Free bathrooms. Three things that are scarce in England are trash cans, water fountains and free and accesible bathrooms. I can't say pub bathrooms are clean, but at least they are there when I need one--and I have a very small bladder.
3. They're smoke-free. Smoking is no longer allowed inside pubs which makes for a much more pleasant eating and drinking experience. Now the smokers just congregate outside the door.
4. Fish and chips. I wouldn't recommend eating anything else in a pub though.
5. Beer tastes better in a pub. Trust me.