"One day it occurred to me that it had been many years since the world had been afforded the spectacle of a man adventurous enough to undertake a journey through Germany on foot. After much thought, I decided that I was a person fitted to furnish to mankind this spectacle. So I determined to do it. This was in March, 1878." Mark Twain, A Tramp Abroad

22.8.09

First German Meal

While Grandma was visiting we took the advice of an American student we encountered on the bus and had lunch at Paprica in the Altstadt (old city) part of Marburg. Here we are midway through the meal. Notice the lack of ice in the drinks and the large portions of food. I look pathetic as the waitress who snapped the photo didn’t warn me before she took the picture and then quickly moved on to the next table. The photo also doesn’t quite portray the steep slant of our table and chairs. This part of Marburg is on a hill, which is why I was carrying Penelope in a wrap instead of attempting the stroller on the steep, cobblestone roads—we made that mistake the first day.

Auflauf: a cross between macaroni and cheese and an oven-baked casserole, with a variety of vegetable and meat combinations to choose from

Conclusion: Delicious!

1 comment:

  1. Oh, my goodness! What an experience. Grandma would have loved to have heard about your experiences. I can just hear her laughing as Jenny is embelishing! I laughed out loud, myself, when I read about the dorm and the bus. Amazing! I can't wait to hear more!

    ReplyDelete