"One day it occurred to me that it had been many years since the world had been afforded the spectacle of a man adventurous enough to undertake a journey through Germany on foot. After much thought, I decided that I was a person fitted to furnish to mankind this spectacle. So I determined to do it. This was in March, 1878." Mark Twain, A Tramp Abroad

18.12.09

Lebkuchen Creation

Christmas isn't Christmas here without Lebkuchen.



Lebkuchen is the original gingerbread. It's a little spicier than gingerbread as it contains a bit of pepper. The texture is a little different too--hard on the outside and spongy on the inside. It can come in different shapes and usually has almonds pressed on top.

The University Guesthouse, where we currently live, organized an afternoon of making and decorating gingerbread houses for the children. Penelope and I decided to try our hand at it. Let's just say that making a gingerbread house while entertaining a baby isn't the easiest thing I've ever done. Here's the pathetic result:



I intended to add a top to the house, but I ran out of patience. Penelope wasn't very impressed with the overall result either.



We did manage to heap on lots of candy--isn't that the point of making a gingerbread house anyway?



Let's just say that 30 seconds after this photo was taken there was no gingerbread house. Just a pile of candy pieces and cracker crumbs.

No comments:

Post a Comment