"One day it occurred to me that it had been many years since the world had been afforded the spectacle of a man adventurous enough to undertake a journey through Germany on foot. After much thought, I decided that I was a person fitted to furnish to mankind this spectacle. So I determined to do it. This was in March, 1878." Mark Twain, A Tramp Abroad

15.1.10

Soooo Fine at Nine!

My little Penelope is nine months old today. For some reason nine months sounds so old to me. Penelope has now been out in this world just as long as she was inside of me--and that pregnancy sure felt like an eternity! When did that tiny, helpless infant of mine turn into such a big, mobile girl with a mind of her own?

The theme of this past month has been food. Not baby jar pureed food, but big girl food. Penelope has decided that she would like to be in charge of her own eating by picking up her food and putting it into her mouth with her own two hands instead of waiting open-mouthed until someone else shoves a spoonful of mush into it.

I must admit that I am proud of her for mastering the "pincer grasp" and for her being more adventurous in the realm of food, but what I do not like about this stage is the HUGE mess this creates. Lately it seems like I spend half the day cleaning up her hands, face, hair, bib, high chair, table, and floor!!! Just when I have finished cleaning up the mess after one meal it seems like it's time to start the whole process over again.

Her preferences seem to change on a daily basis, but lately her favorite foods to feed herself are grapes (cut into fourths--I am well aware of the choking hazard!), clementine segments, cheerios (thanks to our friend Kathleen who brought a box back from the U.S.), cucumbers, and this evening she couldn't seem to get enough lentils. It's amazing the food she can consume considering she still only has two teeth!

Some other nine month Penelope milestones:
--finally saying "ma-ma-ma" (I was starting to think I should just change my name to "dada")
--waving bye-bye, which sometimes takes on the form of a Nazi Salute
--realizing that when mommy tries to hide an object from her, that it still exists
--standing for a few seconds on her own (and the father swears she took a step one time)

No comments:

Post a Comment