"One day it occurred to me that it had been many years since the world had been afforded the spectacle of a man adventurous enough to undertake a journey through Germany on foot. After much thought, I decided that I was a person fitted to furnish to mankind this spectacle. So I determined to do it. This was in March, 1878." Mark Twain, A Tramp Abroad

18.1.10

Before the Melting

Today was the first day I have seen green grass in the past two weeks. Funny how you get used to the surroundings looking one way, only to have them change overnight. Although I was getting tired of the dirty, slushy snow along the sidewalks and of coming home with a salt ring on my boots, after digging up these pictures from two weeks ago from when my family was here, I am secretly hoping for another snowfall. The locals tell me, don't worry, the winter isn't even close to being over just yet.

from an opening in the castle wall


our little family from the castle balcony


penelope contemplates the white stuff


gals in snowland (Aunt J, Penelope, Me, Grandma)


lovin' it up atop the city


Uncle M a-frolickin' in the snow


a snowmouse(?) we claimed as our own in the castle gardens





just the 4 of us


heading up the mountain on the funicular (take note of the fingerprints on the bottom windows)

Aunt J and Uncle M (and don't forget Baby R!) on top of the mountain


wandering in the woods at the top of the mountain (looks like someone had a tad too much coffee that morning)

can you hear our chattering teeth?


back down to civilization


dashing across the old bridge in search of something hot to drink


jackpot! hot, thick, liquid chocolate at Chocolaterie St. Anna

1 comment: